Oil painting on panel 10x10"
I started this painting late on Saturday night, but by 1.30 am I decided I had to go to bed - its a shame because now I won't be able to complete the painting alla prima (in one session) as I'd hoped. The jug still needs some work and I'll have to let it dry before working on it again. I'm happy with the daffodils though so I can leave them as they are thankfully. The slide show below shows some progress shots up to where I left off last night.
Oil painting on panel 8x10"
After all the dark paintings recently I felt like trying some flowers against a white background. The weather returned to grey wintry light which gave nice soft shadows. It was great to be able to use these rich magentas and purples - not colours I often get to use. The cyclamen were obligingly easy to paint but the glass I'm not happy with, so this will have to stay another morning on my easel ( so much for completing this as a daily painting as I initially hoped!)
Oil painting on panel 16x11"
Here’s what I’ve been working on for the last couple of mornings. Its on a much larger panel than I usually use (16x11”) and its a bit experimental- placing the brightly lit primroses really close to the edge of the panel with the rest of the panel filled with the darkness behind. I wanted to see how far I could push the primroses to the edge of the composition and still get the picture to work. The photo has lost some of the detail in the darks and lights, but in the painting it seems that the diagonal line of the cast shadow balances the primroses. I think the effect is quite dramatic, highlighting both the fragility of the flowers and the brightness of their petals in the light. I’m going to try out some more flowers on larger panels like this.
Oil painting on panel 8x8"
One of the positives to come out of my daily painting practice has been trying out new subjects. I've really got into painting flowers, and have decided to make a series of flower paintings. I think most of these are going to take me two sessions rather than one (remember I only have a couple of hours per day to create my daily painting - not a whole day) so while I'm doing these I will be posting every other day.
I'll still do other smaller daily paintings on the days I'm not working on this series.
These primroses were really hard to paint! The petals are almost flat and as a result had the very subtlest changes in value across them. The folds in the petals were quite crisp and deep, hard to suggest without overdoing and creating very hard edges. I think I spent a large amount of time making adjustments to those creases and getting very frustrated with the results. Its one of those paintings I like better now I can't see it compared to the subject!
It seems to work ok as a painting but really I didn't feel that I'd done the primroses justice at all at the time.
I've included some process shots below. I started with the pot and foliage but could equally have started with the flowers, in fact I think that would probably have made more sense as the flowers are likely to change much more. I'm starting with the flowers in my latest painting of some daffodils and will do a blog post about it tomorrow.
I hope the process photos are interesting, and maybe even useful if you are learning to paint. If you have any questions, please leave a comment, I'd be glad to help.
Original oil painting on mdf panel 8x8"
First of all, let me tell you why I didn't post a painting yesterday. I did make a painting. Maybe it was the late night the night before, or maybe it was the fact that I only had one hour in which to paint, but I can honestly say that the painting was the most hideous, ugly, ill thought out and executed I have painted in many years!!
Sometimes that happens..
I took great pleasure in scraping it off the panel so that I could no longer see it, and at least rescue the panel for another painting.
I was chatting to an artist friend about it, and she told me that those paintings we hate are the best ones! I was taken aback at first, but what she meant was that we learn from our mistakes and failures make us try even harder next time.
So today, I wanted to paint something a lot better. I got a bit over ambitious in fact and decided to paint the whole bunch of tulips before they wilted. There was no way I could complete it in a couple of hours, so I had to work on it some more in the afternoon. There are a couple of things I'm not quite happy with but I wont be scraping this one. Phew!
Please excuse the fuzzy photograph, Ill upload a better one as soon as I get the chance.
Original oil painting on mdf panel 10x5" available from Newbloodart
It felt a bit spring like this morning, and I felt inspired to paint some flowers. I bought a bunch of white tulips, but just painted this one as that's all I had time for. To paint flowers you have to work incredibly quickly as they change shape much more rapidly than you'd expect. I would have preferred to spend a bit longer, but by the time I'd picked up my daughter from nursery and come home, the leaf had wilted and the flower opened further, so I decided to leave it as it is.
As I was painting I was listening to this video tutorial by Mark Carder, where he talks about learning to work quickly. He gives great advice - I highly recommend watching it.
There are some process shots below. As usual, I was working from the back to the front and from the darks to the lights, saving the highlights right until the end.
Oil on primed card 4x6" available from Newbloodart
It was great to find a couple of calendula flowers still growing on my allotment yesterday. Looking forwards to some spring bulbs coming through soon as well.
I perched this arrangement right at the front edge of my shadow box which gave the lighting a softer more natural feel. I was surprised to be able to capture the intense orange of the petals but I think maybe the subdued lighting helped me with this.