I've been meaning to paint cornflowers all summer, and finally today I got round to it. Just in time too , most of the cornflower plants on my have died back now and I just have one with a few flowers left. Heres a photo of the arrangement.
Here's the initial block in. I use hog filberts for this stage, I like the texture these brushes create, which is useful for suggesting details which would be fiddly to paint in.
Next I use some small round kolinsky sables to pick out some details, I also build up a little impasto here and there in the lightest parts.
I mix up a pile of colour for the background, and with another sable, cut in the outer shapes of the petals more accurately, tasing negative shapes. To give a bit of variety to the edges, in some places I paint the petals back over where I cut in with the background.
Heres the finished painting. When Its dry and varnished I'll update this photo with a better one ( this one is taken on my phone)
Oil on panel 4x6" (sold)
I painted this back in June, just as all the flowers were starting to come out on the allotment.
I felt the need to get on and paint them because time is so short and I never get to do all the paintings I'm hoping too in each season.
I stayed up late to paint this little study under the studio lights, and I'm glad I did as I still haven't got round to doing a larger painting containing these flowers.
The posy contains nasturtiums, roses, sweet peas, cornflowers, calendula and nigella.
Oil on panel 12x9" available from Singulart online gallery
I started this painting back in April after the weather had gone cold and grey. I needed a splash of colour and sunshine!
The addition of lemons links this floral composition back to my previous lemon series.
I am a realist painter, working in oils, painting landscape and still life.