I've been meaning to paint cornflowers all summer, and finally today I got round to it. Just in time too , most of the cornflower plants on my have died back now and I just have one with a few flowers left. Heres a photo of the arrangement.
Here's the initial block in. I use hog filberts for this stage, I like the texture these brushes create, which is useful for suggesting details which would be fiddly to paint in.
Next I use some small round kolinsky sables to pick out some details, I also build up a little impasto here and there in the lightest parts.
I mix up a pile of colour for the background, and with another sable, cut in the outer shapes of the petals more accurately, tasing negative shapes. To give a bit of variety to the edges, in some places I paint the petals back over where I cut in with the background.
Heres the finished painting. When Its dry and varnished I'll update this photo with a better one ( this one is taken on my phone)
I am a realist painter, working in oils, painting landscape and still life.